Certified Interpreter

A-Sign Interpreters provides certified interpreters for all kinds of settings. If your business needs a certified interpreter please fill out a request form.

Sign language interpreters can have several types of interpreter certifications. A business trying to sort through all of the different names and kinds of certifications that interpreters have can feel overwhelmed. This article will explain the most common kinds of certification that interpreters have today.

Certified Interpreter: National Certification

The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf is the largest interpreting body in the United States and is the professional organiztion responsible for developing and administering the only national certification available today. The name of the certification currently offered is National Interpreter Certification, better known as “NIC.” Previous Certifications offered by RID include certified interpreter, certified transliterator, interpreter certificate, and transliterator certificate. Currently, in order to test to become a nationally certified interpreter, a four year bachelors degree is required. RID also offers a specialist certificate for the legal field and a certification for deaf people to work as interpreters.

Certified Interpreter: State Certification

Several states offer quality assurance certificates. The certification is generally scored on a one to three ore one to five scale and can qualify interpreters to work in most settings. The test is usually comprised of two parts: a written knowledge test and a performance exam. To find if state certification is offered in a particular state, check out the state’s RID chapter website.

Certified Interpreter: Educational Certification

The Boystown National Research Hospital has developed and administers the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment, or “EIPA.” The test is comprised of two parts, a written and a performance exam, and tests an interpreters’s knowledge of educational interpreting and the ability to interpret for either elementary or high school level courses. Also, the test is scored on a 0 to 5 system, with most states requiring a 3.5 on the test.